Best online casino pokies for Australian players - more info





MEN:  ST. JOSEPH THE WORKER; Must make appointment, Call Ray Herrea at 5020253-4960 to make appointment to drop off clothing for



 Note:  During Covid-19 Pandemic and beyond, procedures for donating clothing and for shopping for clothing for both men and women  may have changed from regular routines.  Call the above numbers to obtain specific procedures.





Abel House, 345 N. 6th Avenue, Phoenix 85003 (Call Monica Medrano 602-441-0956)

2Luv1Another, 2324 and 2326 W. Turney Ave, Phoenix 85015 (Call Sonya Jennings  562-726-0415)

Amigos Foundation, 5701 N. 45th Drive, Glendale 85301 (Call Dave Fraley 602-549-1060)

Streets of Joy 747 W. Pepper Lane, Mesa 85201 (Call Pastor Eric Jenkins480-453-9490 - Faith Based)

Camelback Independent Living, 5038 N. 18th Avenue, Phoenix, 85015 (Call Jane Valenzuela 602-451-1967)

Redeemed Outreach Center, Pastor Shaane Paisley 480-800-1635 (Faith based housing)

Will Vucurevich, Program Manager, East Valley Men's Center (480) 610-6722

Kevin Williams at 480-438-2303

Sharon Ledbetter at (602) 695-3500


Halle Foundation Women's Center, 3424 E. Van Buren St., Phoenix, 85008 (Call 602-362-5833)


Training/Employment Skills:

 St. Mary's Food Bank Community Kitchen Program:  They offer a 16-week free program to teach those with barriers to employment (such as ex offenders) the skills to cook, work in a line kitchen, participate in catering and the creation of student lunches, as well as teaches teamwork, self-esteem and personal and  professional growth.  The restautrant industry is generally quite forgiving of those with felony backgrounds. Contact Aubrie Dermer at 602-343-3183.


CONTROL OF RUMORS:  Social security benefits are not available to ex-felons, for any reason just because you've been in prison.  Prisoners are not a "disadvantaged class" as defined by any government agency.   No, there is no pot of money that is given to ex-offenders for each month they spent in prison, nor are ex-offenders classified as a "disabled minority" for purposes of obtaining social security benefits upon release.  Only mentally ill (documented by psychiatric testing) persons and other physically disabled persons, who may also happened to have been in prison, are eligible to receive social security disability benefits, but NO ONE qualifies simply because they have been incarcerated.  This is a rumor that has circulated among the prisoner population for years and is simply not true.  For those who were collecting social security prior to being sentenced to prison, the law specifically prohibits continuation of the benefits while the person is incarcerated.  (Note:  spousal benefits may continue in some cases).

Next, ex-prisoners are not entitled to be reimbursed upon release from prison for monies that were deducted from their inmate accounts for room, board, court-ordered restitution, fines, etc. from jobs they held which allowed them to earn money above the prevailing WIPP (Work Incentive Pay Plan) wages.  WIPP wages are allocated to be from 10 - 50 cents/hour, depending upon the job assignment.   Arizona state law provides that inmates who work at certain contract labor, ACI (Arizona Correctional Industries) or other minimum-wage-type jobs are required to pay room, board, court-ordered restitution or fines, etc.  Even with these deductions, inmates who hold these jobs still come out ahead of those who work for WIPP wages.  For some reason, a rumor has circulated among prisoners that, once released, an ex-offender is entitled to apply for reimbursement of the above listed statutory deductions.  This is an absurd proposition, but the rumor persists.

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Information for Persons With A Felony Record:  PUBLISHED (2012) :  The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ( EEOC) has published "ENFORCEMENT GUIDANCE ON THE CONSIDERATION OF ARREST AND CONVICTION REOCRDS IN EMPLOYMENT DECISIONS UNDER TITLE VII OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS ACTS OF 1964" (as amended) under 42 U.S.C. Section 2000e.  The Guidance consolidates and supersedes the Commission's 1987 and 1990 policy statements on this issue, as well as the discussion in Section VI.B.2 of the "Race and Color Discrimination Compliance Manual Chapter."  It is designed to be a resource for employers, employment agencies, and unions covered by Title VII, but it also is an excellent informational source for applicants and employees, as well as for EEOC enforcement staff.  KNOW YOUR RIGHTS!


Here's the link: EEOC: New Information on Hiring Those With Criminal Records

It is unlawful to disqualify a person of one race for having a conviction or arrest record while not disqualifying a person of another race with a similar record.  For example, an employer cannot reject Black applicants who have conviction records when it does not reject similarly situated White applicants. 

In addition to avoiding disparate treatment in rejecting persons based on conviction or arrest records, upon a showing of disparate impact, employers must also be able to justify such criteria as job-related and consistent with business necessity.  This means that, with respect to conviction records, the employer must show that it considered the following three factors: (1) the nature and gravity of the offense(s); (2) the time that has passed since the conviction and/or completion of the sentence; and (3) the nature of the job held or sought.  A blanket exclusion of persons convicted of any crime thus would not be job-related and consistent with business necessity.  Instead, the above factors must be applied to each circumstance.  Generally, employers will be able to "justify" their decision not to hire an ex-felon (or even interview one) when the conduct that was the basis of the conviction is related to the position for which he/she is applying, or if the conduct was particularly egregious.

Unfortunately, unless a potential employer tells you, "We have a policy never to hire ex-felons," very little of the above can be applied or proven because most job applications ask about a felony conviction.  Once the box on the application is marked "yes," the applicant is simply not interviewed and cannot prove that the reason he was rejected was because of the felony record.  If a person provides false information about a former felony record, there are always subject to termination and, in some cases, prosecution for lying on an application.  We recommend leaving the box/question blank, on the hopes that by the time the interviewer notices it, the applicant will be engaged in an in-person interview and can answer the question truthfully, but also try to convince the employer why he/she would be a good employee based upon all that he/she has overcome, etc.

Arrest records, as opposed to conviction records, are treated slightly differently.  While a conviction record constitutes reliable evidence that a person engaged in the conduct alleged (i.e., convictions require proof beyond a reasonable doubt, even for those who are convicted via a plea agreement), an arrest without a conviction does not establish that a person actually engaged in misconduct/violation of the law.  Thus, when a policy or practice of rejecting applicants based on arrest records has a disparate impact on a protected class, the arrest records must not be related to the job at issue, but the employer must also evaluate whether the applicant or employee actually engaged in the misconduct.  It can do this by giving the applicant the opportunity to explain and by making follow-up inquiries necessary to evaluate his/her credibility.

Other employment policies that relate to off-the-job employee conduct also are subject to challenge under the disparate impact approach, such as policies related to employees' credit history.  People of color have also challenged, under the disparate impact theory, employer policies of discharging persons whose wages have been garnished to satisfy creditors' judgments.

If you believe you have a claim for illegal discrimination due to your felony record, and after having read the information above, call Orlando Garcia, Intake Supervisor, (602) 640-5036 or Krista Watson, Program Manager, (602) 640-4995, at the Phoenix EEOC office.  If you know of a company that has a blanket policy to prohibit hiring ex-felons, please contact one of the above persons at the EEOC.

(The above information was primarily provided by the Arizona Equal Employment Opportunity Commission).


For many years, we at Middle Ground have been suggesting to state government officials that there needs to be a "one stop" location for released offenders to visit in each county in order to obtain ID, driver's licenses, duplicate social security cards, sign up for AHCCCS, etc. In addition, we believe that bus tokens and a telephone calling card should be provided upon release.  Also, inmates need to have health care needs taken care of prior to leaving their prison unit, especially if they have chronic health care conditions or are taking medication for serious mental or physical needs.  We also have advocated for an increase in the current $100 "gate money."   It only makes sense to facilitate a smooth-as-possible transition from incarceration to the free world, and for those offenders who are released without benefit of family or friends, the obstacles can be overwhelming.

NEXT, let's deal with the reality of prisoner employment and re-entry.   Finding employment is one of the most vital reintegration challenges ex-prisoners face, and one that impacts almost everything else they do:  where they live and under what circumstances, ability to provide for transportation, ability to provide for their families and other responsibilities, etc.  In a  study prepared for the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority by Vera Kachnowski , there were certain "predictors" for those who would be able to find work after release.  They included:  (1) the person had worked prior to going to prison; (2) the person was involved in work release jobs while in prison; (3) the person had debts to take care of (such as child support obligations, etc.) after release; and, (4) the person had  a good perception of his/her neighborhood for finding a job.  On the other hand, those who didn't fare so well in the post-release job hunt had the following characteristics: (1) negative peer influences prior to prison; (2) high numbers or prior release revocations; (3) no intimate partner after release; (4) used drugs or alcohol to intoxication after release; (5) assessed drug selling/dealing to be a problem in their immediate neighborhood/surroundings.


Target Stores and some  government agencies in Arizona are no longer asking about a felony conviction on their employment applications.  This will have the net effect of avoiding the (secret but almost automatic) exclusion of felony offenders from the interview process.  This process is called "ban the box" because it means that their employment applications no longer have a "box" to check which asks a prospective applicant about arrest/conviction records.     We hope to encourage Arizona legislators and the Governor to seek similar legislation here.  They cannot, however, control private employers.  Therefore, we encourage customers of various stores to encourage management to "ban the box" within their company.


The defense attorney rarely thinks about it, much less knows about it.  The prosecutor doesn't care.  The Judge isn't legally bound to tell you about it, and you don't get the information until you get out of prison  or jail and begin trying to put your life back together again.  What is "it"?  The collateral consequence(s) of a felony conviction . . . the "extra" punishment -- imposed from outside the formal judicial process -- that is directed toward someone with a felony conviction which affects almost every aspect of their life, sometimes for the REMAINDER of their life.  Denial of jobs.  Housing restrictions.  Ineligibility for certain government loans or grants.   Ineligibility for military service, holding certain public offices.  The list goes on.  We refer to it as the "mark of Cain."

In Arizona, certain professions or jobs require a fingerprint clearance card (SEE ARS 41-1758.03).   The Arizona Board of Fingerprinting can conduct a "good cause" exception hearing if you are initially denied a fingerprint clearance card for a certain job, but some crimes preclude a fingerprint clearance card altogether (no exceptions).

If you have been convicted of  just one of the following crimes (or even if you've been charged and are awaiting trial on the following crimes, or if you been convicted of attempting to or conspiring to commit one of the following crimes, in Arizona or in another state), you are precluded from obtaining a fingerprint clearance card, but are permitted to petition the board of fingerprints for a "good cause" exception, as outlined in ARS 41-619.55:

Manslaughter; Endangerment; Threatening or intimidating; Assault; Unlawfully administering intoxicating liquors, narcotic drugs or dangerous drugs;  Assault by vicious animals; Drive-by shooting; Assaults on officers or fire fighters; Discharging a firearm at a structure; Indecent exposure; Public sexual indecency; Aggravated criminal damage; Theft; Theft by extortion; Shoplifting; Forgery; Criminal possession of a forgery device; Obtaining a signature by deception; Criminal impersonation; Theft of a credit card or obtaining a credit card by fraudulent means; Receipt of anything of value obtained by fraudulent use of a credit card; Forgery of a credit card; Fraudulent use of a credit card; Possession of any machinery, plate or other contrivance or incomplete credit card; False statement as to financial condition or identity to obtain credit card; Fraud by persons authorized to provide goods or services; Credit card transaction record theft; Misconduct involving weapons; Misconduct involving explosives; Depositing explosives; Misconduct involving simulated explosive devices; Concealed weapon violation; Enticement of any person for purposes of prostitution; Procurement by false pretenses of any person for the purpose of prostitution; Procuring or placing persons in a house of prostitution; Receiving earnings of a prostitute; Detention of persons in a house of prostitution for debt; Keeping or residing in a house of prostitution or employment in prostitution; Pandering; Transporting persons for the purpose of prostitution or other immoral purposes; Possession and sale of peyote; Possession and sale of a vapor-releasing substance containing a toxic substance; Sale of precursor chemicals; Possession, use or sale of marijuana, dangerous drugs or narcotic drugs; Manufacture or distribution of an imitation controlled substance; Manufacture or distribution of an imitation prescription-only drug; Manufacture or distribution of an imitation over-the-counter drug; Possession or possession with intent to use an imitation controlled substance; Possession or possession with intent to use an imitation prescription-only drug; Possession or possession with intent to use an imitation over-the-counter drug; Manufacture of certain substances and drugs by certain means; Adding poison or other harmful substance to food, drink or medicine; A criminal offense involving criminal trespass and burglary, under Title 15, chapter 15; A criminal offense involving organized crime and fraud under Title 13, Chapter 23; Child neglect; Misdemeanor offenses involving contributing to the delinquency of a minor; Offenses involving domestic violence; Arson; Kidnapping; Felony offenses involving sale, distribution or transportation of, offer to sell, transport or distribute or conspiracy to sell, transport or distribute marijuana, dangerous drugs or narcotic drugs; Robbery; Aggravated Assault; Felony offenses involving contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

A person who is subject to registration as a sex offender in this or any other state or jurisdiction or who is awaiting trial on or who has been convicted of any of the below offenses, you are permanently ***precluded from obtaining a fingerprint clearance card (no "good faith" exceptions can be granted):

Sexual abuse of a minor; sexual abuse of a vulnerable adult; incest; first or second degree murder; sexual assault; sexual exploitation of a minor; sexual exploitation of a vulnerable adult; commercial sexual exploitation of a minor; commercial sexual exploitation of a vulnerable adult; child prostitution as prescribed in ARS 13-3212; child abuse; abuse of a vulnerable adult; sexual conduct with a minor; molestation of a child; molestation of a vulnerable adult; a dangerous crime against children as defined in ARS 13-604.01; exploitation of minors involving drug offenses; taking a child for the purposes of prostitution as prescribed in ARS 13-3206; neglect or abuse of a vulnerable adult.

There's more . . .

A person who is awaiting trial on or who has been convicted of committing or attempting or conspiring to commit a violation of ARS 281381 (DUI), 28-1382 (Extreme DUI) or 28-1383 (Aggravated DUI) in this state or similar offense in another state or jurisdiction within five years from the date of applying for a fingerprint clearance card is precluded from driving any vehicle to transport employees or clients of the employing agency as part of the person's employment.   (This doesn't preclude a person from driving his/her own vehicle as part of the person's employment).

There is more:  A person who is under age 18 or who is at least 99 (no typographical error !) years of age is EXEMPT from the fingerprint clearance card requirements listed above.  However, at all times that the person is working, they must be under "direct visual supervision" of other personnel who have "valid" fingerprint clearance cards.

***  A Governor's pardon would likely overcome the preclusion, but this has not been tested in Arizona's courts.  Restoration of Civil Rights and Setting Aside Judgment (Arizona has no "Expungement" statute) would not overcome the permanent preclusion.  Setting Aside a Conviction and/or Dismissal would probably legally resolve the preclusion issue, but his issue has also not been tested in Arizona's courts.  Keep in mind that  Arizona law prohibits setting aside convictions for serious or dangerous offenses.   See a lawyer who is experienced in this area of the law.

If you are a released sex offender subject to community notification:  We may be able to assist you to obtain a copy of the assessment/profile tool used by police agencies to determine at what Level (1, 2 or 3) you will be placed for community notification if you are unable to obtain this information yourself. If you are willing to do the legwork yourself, we can instruct you how to go about obtaining this form once it is filled out by the agency making the determination of your level of notification) sometimes this is both the ADOC and a police agency).  You will have to call us at (480) 966-8116 or send us an e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. in order to obtain this assistance.  We have assisted several ex-offenders to obtain a copy of the form on the basis that they disagree with the assignment of a Level for notification.  We believe this completed assessment tool should be available to you anytime you ask for it, but the Dept. of Corrections and/or the police/law enforcement agencies who complete these forms apparently do not understand "due process."   Level 1 is the lowest, or least onerous.  Level 3 is the highest, which includes notifying the media and others of your address and posting your photo in the neighborhood and in the media.  Call us at 480 966-8116 AFTER you are released from prison and AFTER you have obtained an address, and we will discuss with you how to obtain a copy.  We provide this form for informational/educational purposes only; we believe that you are entitled to a copy of the completed form (after your scores on various topics are entered onto the form), even if the Dept. of Corrections, police agency or anyone else advises you that they do not usually give out copies of the completed assessment tool (even if you are the person being assessed) because it is a "police matter."


Law:  Effective Sept. 21, 2006, a new law requires the Motor Vehicle Divn. to send daily updates to the Dept. of Public Safety (DPS) containing address changes for Arizona's registered sex offenders.    The purpose of the law is to provide "quick tracking" of sex offenders.  Also, the law ratchets up the penalty if a sex offender fails to annually update their photo and address with the Motor Vehicle Divn.  The penalty formerly was a Class 1 Misdemeanor; now it is a Class 6 felony.   In addition, the law requires sex offenders to affix or sign an electronic fingerprint to a previously-mandated statement required by DPS.  This statement asks the offender to identify all the names that he is known for, their address, their physical location of their address, and their post office box.  Persons from other jurisdictions who register as sex offenders in Arizona are also required to provide blood or other bodily samples for DNA testing (Arizona's offenders already do so).


Middle Ground is aware of at least one case of prosecution in Maricopa County of a person on lifetime probation (after service of a lengthy prison sentence) who was participating in his mandated sex offender treatment programming/group sessions, who admitted to molestation crimes that he had not previously disclosed, and which had not been reported (by the victim; his daughter).  He was under the impression that if he did not disclose these acts, he would be terminated from the treatment program and recommended to the court for revocation of his probation supervision.  When he confessed the behavior, the counselor reported the confession to police authorities, and the police interviewed his daughter (the crime was several years old, but the statute of limitations does not begin tolling until a crime is reported) who confirmed the molestation.  The person was subsequently CHARGED WITH THE NEW CRIME AND WAS ULTIMATELY SENTENCED TO A CONSECUTIVE TERM OF LIFETIME PROBATION.    WARNING:  DO NOT EVER ADMIT TO ANY PERSON OPERATING OR SUPERVISING A "TREATEMENT PROGRAM" ANY CRIMES OTHER THAN THE ONE FOR WHICH YOU ARE PRESENTLY INCARCERATED OR SENTENCED UNLESS PRIOR TO THE ADMISSION YOU ARE GIVEN -- IN WRITING -- IMMUNITY FROM PROSECUTION FROM THE COUNTY ATTORNEY OR DISTRICT ATTORNEY IN THE JURISDICTION WHERE THE CRIME OCCURRED -- NO MATTER WHAT THREATS ARE MADE AGAINST YOU BY THE TREATMENT PROVIDER!  IF THE PROGRAM OPERATOR THREATENS TO TERMINATE YOU FROM THE PROGRAM FOR LACK OF COOPERATION OR FULL DISCLOSURE, CALMLY ADVISE THAT YOU WILL BE  WILLING TO DISCLOSE ALL PREVIOUS CRIMES IF YOU ARE PROVIDED IMMUNITY FROM PROSECUTION IN WRITING BY A COMPETENT LEGAL AUTHORITY WHO HAS JURISDICTIONAL AUTHORITY TO ISSUE SUCH IMMUNITY.    YOU MAY ALSO WISH TO ATTEMPT TO "EDUCATE" THE TREATMENT PROVIDER ABOUT THE FIFTH AMENDMENT RIGHT TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM SELF-INCRIMINATION.


HUD rules do NOT prohibit ALL convicted sex offenders from applying for federally assisted housing.  Instead, their rules prohibit ONLY those sex offenders who are subject to "lifetime registration requirements."  See HUD  Rule 5.856 which states . . .You must establish standards that prohibit admission to federally assisted housing if any member of the household is subject to lifetime registration requirements under a state sex offender registrationn program.  In the screening of applicants, you must perform necessary criminal history background checks in the State where the housing is located and in other states where the household members are known to have resided. 

If you wish to further check this HUD Rule,  it can be found under "Code of Federal Regulations (Titles 24, 5, 41 and 48), and the current rules regarding sex offenders are in Title 24, Volume 1.  One rule that must be followed is:  The sex offender has a right to be notified that he/she has a right of appeal of a decision to evict, deny or fail to review a lease for public housing assistance.

Before doing anything, check to see if YOU are subject to "lifetime" probation.  Some sex offenders may not be.  In California and Oregon, for example, they have a "Certificate of Rehabilitation (COR)" which permits a sex offender to stop registering, so if an Arizona sex offender moved to one of these states and obtained a COR, you might be able to stop registering.  However, as with any issue which could affect you legal rights, you should consult a lawyer for assistance.  Some old code offenders in Arizona (pre 1994) have been erroroneously sentenced to "lifetime" probation when, in fact, the date of offense limits their exposure to probation for up to five (5) years maximum.  If your crime was committed prior to January 1, 1994, and you have been sentenced to lifetime probation, you may with to have someone with legal expertise check to insure that you have been sentenced to the correct amount of time for probation supervision.  Call Donna Hamm for a fee quote.


Here are some resources.  We will add to them as they become available.  Although we will try to keep this information updated, we aren't responsible for information that is inaccurate or outdated.  In fact, if you call one of these numbers and learn that it is no longer accurate, please let us know so we can update this site.


City of Phoenix Housing: 830 E. Jefferson (602) 534- 2142

Community Housing: 609 N. 9th St. (602) 253-6905

Lutheran Social Ministry (602) 271-0828

Valley Christian: 1326 W. Hadley St. (602) 258-5163


St. Vincent DePaul  602 261-6878

Salvation Army Shelters 602 267-4130NOVA 602 528-0758

Maricopa Cty. Homeless Hotline 602 263-8900

Home Base 602 254-7777

Homeward Bound 602 263-7654

Homeless Hotline 602 256-2219

Family Services 602 267-4122

Domestic Violence Emergency Shelter 602 263-8900

or 1-800-799-7739

(Emergency Hours: 602 266-6956)

Generally speaking, most large apartment complexes have "Crime Free" mandates (which are not considered to be discrimination or against the law) which prohibit them from renting to those with felony records.  Don't waste your time with them.  Instead, purchase a copy of a Sunday newspaper and study the apartment rental section, looking for "mom and pop" rentals, which may including a duplex, a room and board situation, or other arrangements.  Often, smaller locally owned / operated rentals do not ask for detailed background information, or some will rent to you as long as you have the deposit and first/last month's rent in hand.  Be prepared for several rejections.  In our experience, you just have to keep trying.  You WILL eventually find an apartment owner who will give you a chance.  In the alternative, you may find an apartment owner who won't ask about your criminal history or who won't check on it.

Next, we've found that if you check "" and search for apts. or shared rooms that will rent to an ex-felon, you may have some success.  There is a realtor whose name is "Mel" who tried to locate housing for ex-felons.  Sometimes he has no inventory at all of apts. who wil rent to an ex-offender; sometimes, he knows of a few places.  He has no ability at all to find apartments for sex offenders/those who must register.  His telephone is (602) 373-3390.  You can mention that you obtained his reference information from this web site.

Finally, due to the very negative things going on in the housing market, keep in mind that if you rent a house or condo from someone, it is possible that the person who owns the property could be subject to foreclosure if they don't pay their mortgage (with your rent payment).  If your landlord suffers foreclosure on the property in which you are living, you will be evicted, and it will be legal to do so.  In some cases, you won't be able to "locate" your landlord to try to obtain return of your deposit money or any rent refunds due.  BEFORE you sign a lease on a house or condo, be sure to ask questions.  ASK outright if the mortgage payments are currently up to date.  Ask to see proof of this claim, if possible.  Check whatever public records may be available at the county assessor's office to see if the properly has recently or ever been in foreclosure proceedings.  Most ex-offenders have enough difficulty raising the money to pay for first and last month's rent, plus deposit.  So, protect yourself as much as possiblefrom consequences if the property goes into foreclosure/bankruptcy proeedings while you are a tenant.

Phoenix Single Women's Shelters

Andre House: 1002 W. Polk (602) 252-9023

CASS: 1209 W. Madison (602) 256-6945

Church on the Street: 24th St. & Filmore (602) 275-2920

Gift of Mary: 1414 S. 17th Avenue (602) 254-8424

Maggie's Place:  (602) 257-4648

hoenix Rescue Mission: 1801 S. 35th Avenue (602) 233-2647

U.M.O.M.: 3320 E. Van Buren St. (602) 275-4533

Phoenix Single Men's Shelters

12th Avenue Retreat: 1236 S. 12th Avenue (602) 272-3662

Andre House: 1002 W. Polk (602) 252-9023

CASS: 1209 W. Madison (602) 256-6945

Church on the Street: 4006 W. Van Buren (602) 447-0259

East Valley Men's Center  (480) 610-6722

House of Refuge: 6909 E. Ursula (480) 988-9242Phoenix Rescue Mission: 1801 S. 35th Avenue (602) 233-3000

Respite Shelter: 7000 N. Central (602) 870-4353

Streets of Joy: 1202 E. Devonshire (602) 275-4533

US Mission: 1821 E. Avalon Drive (602) 264-7882

Phoenix Area Family Shelters

The Bridge: 2001 W. Northern Avenue (602) 589-5556

Gift of Mary: 1414 S. 17th Avenue (602) 254-8424

Homeward Bound: 29 W. Thomas (602) 263-7654Interfaith (602) 294-0222Labor's Community: 5818 N. 7th St. (602) 263-5741

La Mesita: 2254 W. Main Street (Mesa) (480) 834-8723

Salvation Army: 2707 E. Van Buren (602) 267-4130

Save the Family: 450 W. 4th Pl #202 (Mesa) (480) 898-0228

U.M.O.M. 3320 E. Van Buren (602) 275-4533

Vista Colina: 1050 W. Mountain View (602) 944-0960

YWCA: 755 E. Wiletta (602) 268-0990

Youth and Children's Shelters  Crisis Nursery (602) 273-7364

East Valley Child Crisis Center (480) 969-2308

Home Base: 931 E. Devonshire Avenue (602) 254-7777

Tumbleweed: 4829 N. 37th Avenue (602) 841-5799

Domestic Violence Shelters

Autumn House  (480) 835-5555

Chrysallis (602) 244-4999De Colores (602) 269-1515Faith House (623) 939-6798

My Sister's Place (480) 821-1024

New Life (623) 932-4404

Salvation Army/Elm House (602) 267-4111

Sojourner Center (602) 244-0089

Other Shelters

La Posada: 7045 S. Montezuma (602) 243-9711Ozanam Manor: 1730 E. Monroe (602) 495-3050Phoenix Shanti: 7000 N. Central Avenue (602) 279-0008

Halfway Houses (not operated by the State Dept. of Corrections)

Alice's Wonderland: 24 S. Udall (Mesa) (480) 962-8471

Calvary Rehab: 720 E. Montebello (602) 279-1468

Casa de Amigas: 1648 W. Colter (602) 265-9987

Corazon: 3639 W. Lincoln St. (602) 233-9747

Crossroads for Men: 1845 E. Ocotillo (602) 279-2585Dana Center: 731 W. Dana Avenue (480) 461-1033Destiny Sober Living: 5306 N. 17th Ave. (602) 249-6675

Guest House: 8910 W. Monroe St. (602) 934-0298

Hope House: 316 N. 11th Way (602) 254-5434

Living Faith: 7514 W. Mitchell (602) 772-7767

NOVA/Maverick: 7022 N 48th Avenue (602) 931-5810

Pelms House: 11773 N. 91st Ave (602) 979-6571

Progress Valley: 4430 N. 23rd Avenue (602) 274-5424

Reborn: 2546 W. Orangewood (602) 433-2382

Sand Dollar: 5049 W. Campbell (623) 247-7877The Solution: 4210 N. Longview (602) 277-7527SOS Fellowship: 650 N. 6th Ave. (602) 252-4205

Steps House: 7155 N. 66th Dr/Ste 102 (623) 939-1566

Teen Challenge: 1515 W. Grand Ave. (602) 271-4084

Teen Outreach: 5809 S. 5th St. (602) 323-0226

Chemical Dependency Halfway Houses

Another Chance: 1201 W. Madison (602) 256-6933

Ebony House: 6222 S. 13th St. (602) 276-4288LARC: 2770 E. Van Buren (602) 273-9999Phx. Indian Center: 2601 N. 3rd St. (602) 263-1017

Phx. Rescue Mission: 1801 S. 35th Ave. (602) 233-3000

Project Heart: 1112 E. Washington (602) 256-2688


Andre House  602 257-4390

Ministry to the Incarcerated & their Families  602 261-6836St. Vincent DePaul  602 254-3338Interfaith: 743 W. Buchanan St. (602) 254-7450

Lutheran Social Ministries: (602) 271-0828

Salvation Army/Mesa (480) 834-7777


Andre House: P.M.: 213 S. 11th Avenue (602) 255-0580

Chris Becker: P.M. 9227 N. 10th Avenue (602) 944-0139

Church on the Street: 902 E. McKinley (602) 254-8302Paz P.M.: 424 W. Broadway/Mesa (480) 464-2370Phoenix Rescue Mission: 1801 S. 35th Avenue (602) 233-0300

St. Vincent de Paul (lunch): 119 S. 9th Avenue (602) 495-3065

St. Vincent de Paul (lunch): 67 W. Broadway/Mesa (480) 649-0081


Arizona Dept. of Economic Security (DES) : 215 E. McDowell  (602) 495-1308

OFFICIAL RECORDS/IDENTIFICATION  Birth Certificate  602 255-3260

Draft Registration 602 267-2343

Driver's License/State ID Card  602 255-0072

Immigration  602 258-4353

Social Security Administration  602 772-1213

Voter Registration 602 506-1511


Alternative Schools  1-800-654-8713Az. Dept. of Education  602 542-4361

Frank Gordon Learning Center/Adult Probationers 602 372-5509

(Free GED Preparation and other services)

Maricopa County Skills Center  602 238-4300

The best time for any ex-offender to attend school is shortly after he/she is released from prison.  Why?  Because you will likely qualify for any available student loans or grants due to your indigency status (because you haven't been making much money during the past year or more).  There are NO grant monies available specifically for ex-felons.  Instead, you may qualify due to indigency.  Pick the college, university or trade school that you wish to attend.  Go and visit the Financial Aid office and tell the counselor that you are an ex-offender who wants to attend and aduate from their school or program.  BEFORE you sign paperwork for a student loan, ask questions about the school's placement service:  HOW MANY EX-OFFENDERS HAVE COMPLETED YOUR PROGRAM IN THE PAST TWO YEARS?  HOW MANY HAVE BEEN PLACED IN JOBS THAT ARE RELATED TO THEIR DEGREE/DIPLOMA?  CAN YOU PROVIDE ME WITH STUDENT NAMES WHO WOULD SERVE AS REFERENCES?   Don't blindly begin an educational program if you know in advance that the field you are studying for is precluded from employment by ex-felons!


DES Job Service   602 276-5587

Goodwill Industries  602 254-2222

Job Corp  602 254-5921Job Info Hot Line  602 506-3329JTPA Job Training 602 534-3922 or 602 861-0208

Maricopa Skill Center 602 238-4300

St. Joseph's The Worker  602 257-4390

Arizona State Vocational Rehab  602 212-0068 or 602 247-3304


(602) 262-6776 or visit

(602) 861-0208 (9801 N. 7th St)

(623) 247-3304 (3406 N. 51st Ave.)

(602) 534-4732 (4732 S. Central Avenue)(623) 934-3231 x 228 (Richard Baldwin) Peoria area

Family Service Agency (602) 252-0918 -  ask for Pam

Tetras Program (602) 685-9703

(This agency has grant money from the federal government to provide vocational training and employment assistance specifically to ex-offenders.  They also conduct periodic workshops in Phoenix and Mesa to assist ex-offenders with interview skills, resume-writing, etc.  They maintain an active database of employers who will hire ex-offenders.

Phoenix City Job Line  602 534-5627

Newspaper Want Ads 480 464-9669

City of Phoenix Clear Path  602 495-5717

Arizona Call-A-Teen  602 252-7771, ex. 146One Stop Career Center:  visit


CREATIVE ENVIRONMENTS has advised Middle Ground that they are very interested in hiring ex-offenders.  Their jobs are in construction of landscapes -- masonry, flagstone, fireplaces, etc.    They are located at 2128 E. Cedar St., Tempe.  The contact person is:  Patricia Hall at (480) 980-7030 or (480) 650-7038.  Laborers start at $8/hour.  Lead men are paid $9.50/hour.  Foremen are paid $14.50/hour.  You must be willing to work outdoors and lift up to 100 lbs.

AWEE (Arizona Women's Education and Employment, Inc.) at (602) 223-4333.  This agency has received a $1 MILLION grant from the  U.S. Department of Labor to provide reintegration/employment services to ex-offenders who are between the ages of 18-29, and the grant PROVIDES SERVICES TO MALES AND FEMALES.  Call for information.  In addition, AWEE has recently obtained a $100,000 grant for one-year to prepare people for "green" jobs such as solar installers, weatherization technologists and energy auditors.  The grant is intened for "under-served" groups, so they have decided to target ex-offenders.  AWEE forcuses on helping women, ex-offenders (men, too) and other people who have a difficult time finding a job.  This grant is part of a $55 million green grant just announced by the U.S. Department of Labor.    Call AWEE at (602) 223-4333 for information.

An agency called "TEaMS" (Transitional Employment and Mentoring Services) at 480-466-4085 offers workshops designed to help ex-offenders overcome the obstacles to employment caused by their felony conviction.  There is a $25 fee for workshops and the fee is payable at the door on the day of the workshop.  No exceptions are made on the fee.   The workshop is a "fast track" program whose objective is to give an ex-offender the skills to insure that when placement assistance is offered (by TEaMS), the person will be better able to market him/herself.  The components of the program include:  common myths involved in ex-offender employment; information about the Federal Bonding Program and The Work Opportunity Tax Credit for employers who will hire ex-offenders; the application process; information about how and why employers use background checks and what information is contained; samples of cover letters, resumes and letters of reference; information about interview skills, and employment searches.

In addition, this organization has an ex-offender housing program, in collaboration with the Arizona Multi housing Association (AMA) and this is designed to enable ex-offenders to be able to rent an apartment in a community where they might otherwise be denied of where they have been denied in the past.  The program requires a TWENTY HOUR educational seminar approved by the AMA and for which a certificate is issued that will remove the felony conviction as a barrier to obtaining housing in many apartment complexes.  However, guidelines apply:  (1) the ex-offender must be a first-time felony offender (no multiple felony counts are allowed unless they were sentenced as concurrent sentences; (2) No violent offenders; (3) No sex offenders; (4) The convictions must be at least 3 years old and the person must be out of prison at least one-year prior to applying for the workshop; (5) the ex-offender must demonstrate that he/she has been employed for one full year prior to entering the program; (6) drug offenders need to show proof of current or past treatment programming.   Other restrictions may apply.  This program is NOT for everyone. There is a $65 NON-REFUNDABLE application fee.  The total cost of the AMA-approved program is $325.  If interested, call (480) 466-4085.



To find out if you are eligible for any or a particular social service, visit this web site:

The above site is sponsored by the Arizona Community Action Association and allows individuals to overcome barriers to the social service system by allowing them to privately and confidentially check their eligibility before beginning the paperwork application process.


Try:  Family Services Agency/Community Reintegration for Ex-Offenders

(602) 252-0918

Grandparents Raising Kids Can Obtain Assistance:  Beatitudes Center DOAR, a non-profit interfaith organization, may pay for all or part of registration fees for activities or camps that are enriching for grandchildren while providing a welcome "break" for grandparents.  To receive assistance, grandparents must be able to demonstrate that they are raising their grandchildren.  Some additional free services are available.  These include support groups, family activities, seminars and legal services.  Call (602) 274-5022 to request assistance.  The program will serve those grandparents whose child is in prison if they are taking care of grandchildren, but we are quite certain that the "legal services" provided to NOT include criminal appeals or challenges to the conviction of one's child.

Adult Children of Alcoholics  602 241-6760

Value Options  602 914-5800

Adult Protective Services 1-877-767-2385

Al Anon  602 249-1257

Alcoholics Anonymous  602 264-1341

Child Protective Services  602 530-1800

Cocaine Anonymous  602 279-3838

DES Family Assistance   602 495-1308

Friendly House  602 257-1870

Help Hotline  602 273-0786

Narcotics Anonymous  602 784-4004

Parents Anonymous  602 248-0428


Dial-A-Ride   602 253-4000

Safe Ride  1-800-797-7433

Tickets to Jobs  602 534-1250

Work Links  602 506-3995

Valley Metro Bus Service  602 253-5000


AHCCCS Indigent Medical  602 275-3230

or 1-800-654-8713

AIDS Center 1-800-342-2437

Lions Club Eye Care 602 267-7573

Family Services  480 545-9626

Kids Care  1-877-764-5437

Maricopa Cty. Health Dept.  602 506-6900

Mental Health Association  480 994-4407

Tattoo Removal  602 262-7370 (6862)

X-TATOO (Removal) (602) 534-3121

Urgent Care  602 222-0444

Poison Control  1-800-362-0101


USEFUL WEB SITES: Maricopa County Health Consumer Organization - info

Arizona State Monthly Report on the Spread of Infectious Diseases: (click on "data and statistics")

To read about an evaluation of the new Medicare Prescription Drug Plan:

To read information from the Centers for Disease Control:

To read information from the National Institute of Health:

To contact the Arizona Dental Board:

To verify the license of a nurse, or complaints:

To check the status of a licensed psychologist and actions taken against them:

To examine how hospitals are rated, contact the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations:

To check on the status of an Arizona nursing home, day care center or hospital, contact the Arizona State Health Department: (Click on "facility search" to check the license status of an institution)

To locate a doctor or other health care professional, contact Arizona Doc Finder: (obtain status of any disciplinary actions or complaints against them)


Middle Ground Prison Reform ( Fee-based services)   480 966-8116

Community Legal Services  602 258-3434

Restoration of Civil Rights (Maricopa Cty. convictions: 602 506-0547)

Sex Offender Registration  602 256-1070

Obtain Copies of Maricopa Cty. Court Papers  602 506-1155

Lawyer Referral  602 257-4434

Fair Housing  480 644-3660

Maricopa County Jain Info Line (602) 256-0322

St. Vincent de Paul Ministry to the Incarcerated (602) 261-6836

To find out how to go about filing a public records request/Freedom of Information request with a government agency:  go to (you can download a form from that site)


Income Tax/Tax Assistance  1-800-829-1040

Social Security Income  1-800-772-1213

Consumer Credit Counseling  602 246-2227

In Maricopa County, you can call Community Information & Referral for other referrals or review a copy of their multi-page Resource Directory at any public library.  The telephone is: 602 263-8856.  Outside the county, call 1-800-352-3792.


Try:  Focus Employment Services, 2345 E. Thomas Road, Phoenix.  Call (602) 312-1045 and ask for Karen Gardner.  This agency also helps all ex-offenders with employment assignments.


Silk Tree Apartments, located at 27th Avenue and Indian School Road, Phoenix *

*  Note:  Due to various city/state laws regarding sex-offender "clustering" in housing, it is impossible for us to maintain an up-to-date list of apartments or private homes who will rent housing or rooms to registered sex offenders.  We suggest that the offender contact his probation or community supervision officer for assistance with housing.  Almost every sex offender who does not otherwise have a home to return to after prison will be someone who is under the supervision of a community supervision (ADOC) or probation (county) officer, and those employees are supposed to provide such assistance/recommendations if needed.


Our Common Welfare (OCW), located in Mesa at 135 N. Country Club, Mesa, Az. 85201. Telephone: (480) 733-2688.   Offers community support for people in recovery.  Offers housing referrals, dental workshops, leadership training, emotional support and a recreation club. Also offers recovery mentoring for previously incarcerated womenand some other services.

Women's Resource Center/Fresh Start Mentoring Services:  Call 602 262-8494.  Provides workshops on communication, financial affairs, business management, legal consulting on divorce and domestic issues, self-esteem, personal growth and relationships, life skills, etc.  Small fees for some workshops.  Free child care provided while attending workshops.


Women Living Free:  Call 623 206-2823.  Women are permitted to enroll in this program about 12 months prior to release.  Support groups focus on reunification of mothers with their children and dealing with child-parent issues.  Must be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D.  Can arrange for transitional housing for women being released from jail or prison.

Visit: (Arizona Women's Education and Employment) at (602) 223-4333.  Note: This program is funded by the U.S. Dept. of Labor and provides services for young ex-offenders (ages 18-29) for men and women.    Another program to call:  Linda Rusay, Director of Operations at Tetra Services, 602 685-9703, ext 203


Project Challenge (480) 988-4100, ext 228; ask for Ruth Klase

(This is a voluntary residential program operated by the Arizona National Guard.  It teaches life and job skills, physical fitness, responsible citizenship, and assists "cadets" to obtain a GED.  The residential program is five-months in length, but the key to this program's success seems to be the post-program mentoring that assists each graduate after they leave by keeping them on track with plans. 


Job Training:  The construction industry has an acute shortage of skilled labor and is hiring ex-offenders, affording them an opportunity to get into the workplace and into jobs which have potential for good wages and long-term stability.  OLD MASTER TRADE SCHOOL, 411 S. Plumer Avenue, Tucson, Arizona,  85719, will teach various trades, and ex-offenders are welcome to attend.  Bilingual (Spanish) classes are available, and tools are available upon completion of the program.  Financial plans are available to those who qualify.  The telephone is: (520) 791-2002 or Call Toll-free at 1-877-791-2005.  Mention that you heard about the school from Middle Ground's web site.  Please note that this organization is not endorsed by Middle Ground, nor do we have any affiliation with it.  We do not receive any benefit from referrals.  We provide the above content for information purposes; each potential student should investigate the program before signing up for classes.  To the best of our knowledge, this is a for-profit corporation. It appears that some financial assistance is provided to cover the tuition costs.

More Job Training:  St. Mary's Food Bank Community Kitchen has been operating a free 14-week basic culinary training program for individuals who want to learn how to cook, and also learn how to obtain and keep a job.  They strive to teach life skills as well as culinary dishes.   They assist with job placement, and new classes begin every 14 weeks.  They will accept persons with felony convictions with the exception of those convicted of sex crimes or assaults with weapons.  Call Cari Green at (602) 322-0161, ext.1121 for information.   They are located at 1818 South 16th Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85034.

Department of Economic Security (DES):  For ex-offenders, this agency handles employment opportunities (Job Service Divn.), and manages the Arizona Workforce Connection (see specific telephone numbers for Workforce Connection in above section on Employment/Job Training).  The DES also manages the Job Tax Credit Program, which gives an employer a tax credit for hiring an ex-offender.  Paperwork for this program can be obtained from a local DES office.  There are dozens of DES offices throughout the state and far too many to list individually.  Look in the telephone directory for the address and telephone of the nearest office in your town or county or call the office listed above for the location nearest you.  DES handles job development, conducts job fairs, provides free typing exams for those seeking clerical work who need official verification of typing speed, provides career assessment testing and even allows employers to interview candidates for jobs at their offices.

In addition to the above services, DES administers the Federal Bonding Program, which provides a bond of up to $5,000 to employers wishing to hire an ex-offender in a job that requires bonding.  The applicant must have an actual job offer for full-time employment in order to qualify. Contact 602 495-1861, x. 1002 for this service only.  DES also offers a Rehabilitation Services Program which includes services such as job coaching, computer training, job retention and coaching techniques, etc.  This division specializes in vocational rehab for those with blindness or other visual impairments.  Call 602 269-5731, ext. 216 for more information.

Family Service Agency/Employment and Educational Support Services:  Contact this agency as listed above.  Provides employment services including job search workshops, action plans for job searches, personal assessment testing, resume writing skill building and training in interviewing techniques.  It also provides a clothing bank for those who need appropriate clothing for jobs or job interviews, computer training.   Specifically has a "Community Re-integration Program" for ex-offenders on community supervision, probation or parole.  This agency does not provide services to registered sex offenders.

Franciscan Renewal Center Job Support Group:  Call 480 862-0082 for info.  They have fee-based coaching, counseling and training.  Will work with those who want career coaching, sales or marketing training and business coaching.

Phoenix Workforce Connection:  Call 602 534-5904 or 602 534-6916. Provides job readiness training and some other support services.

Pima County Community College District:  Has a program called "Inmate Transition/Re-entry." Call 520 574-0024, ext. 4328.  Offers assistance for inmates transitioning back to community.

Paz de Cristo Community Center:   Call 480 464-2370.  Provides assistance to low income and homeless people in the East Valley/Mesa-Tempe area.  Serves evening meals and distributes food boxes; has weekly distribution of hygiene products.  Also provides job training and resume writing and interviewing skill training.


Tetra Services:  Call 602 685-9703; Linda Rusay.  Serves people w/ disabilities.  Must have a physical or mental barrier to employment to qualify for assistance.  Ask for the person who administers"Reintegration Services to Ex-offenders." Also, visit, which is the Arizona Women's Education & Employment web site.

United States Veteran's Service/Career Center:  Call 602 232-2929 or 602 305-8585.  Must have served at least one day of active duty in any branch of U.S. service and not have been dishonorably discharged.  Provides career counseling, case management, job development and other supportive services.  They will not provide housing assistance to convicted arsonists or registered sex offenders.

Veterans Affairs Medical Center:  Call 602 277-5551, ext. 6631.  Provides employment referral services to vets who have multiple disabilities, including a felony record.    All offenders, including those who have committed serious offenses, are eligible as long as they served at least one day of active duty in any branch of the military.

Job Path, Inc.:  Call 520 324-0402 in Tucson.  This is an employment training program working with individuals with criminal records.  This non-profit educates community employers on the advantages of hiring persons with criminal histories.


Criminal Record Repository:  Call 602 223-2229 to find out how you can obtain a copy of your Arizona "rap" sheet and learn about the possibility of sealing the record, expunging it or other legal avenues for relief.  Note:  only an attorney representing you or the personal individual can seek his/her own record.  You may not examine the record of another person, including one for a spouse or child, unless you are an attorney representing that person.


List of online casinos accepting players from USA

Copyright © Middle Ground Prison Reform, All Rights Reserved